<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Thursday, March 11, 2004

The Birth of A Nation 

Call me Ishmael.

Actually don't, but that is a great opening line from THE great America novel, Moby Dick. (Sorry I'm an English major, but I promise it won't happen again.)

Where to begin? So much to say, so much to say.... I want this blog to be a record of all the things that go unnoticed, unscrutinized, unsatirized. Things that piss me off, that make me laugh, and things that make me want to run home and rub my Billiken for good luck. Billike? What the hell is a Billiken. I should give a little background.

The most frequently quoted of the many theories of interesting versions was that the Billiken originated in Egypt. It has been said that the Egyptian considered the Billiken to be a symbol of good luck, and the God of Laughter, Happiness, Merry making and Good Health. He was a patron of beauty and guardian angel of children. They believed that the presence of the little figure with his pointed head, pot belly, bat-like ears and whimsical smile, when kept in their homes, would protect and insure a happy, harmonious atmosphere. When worn, it would dispel clouds of trouble and bring joy into life !

The University of St. Louis Billiken whimsical but slightly mischevious (However, looks like he didn't bring them enough luck to get them in to the NCAA tournament this year. Come on St. Louis looks like you weren't treating the little fella right!)
.

Then there is the more traditional, pious Billiken-



How about a some salt and pepper


Let's see, what else? I'm going by a single monicker Gotim. Like Ronaldo, or Nene, or my hero...Andre 3000.

Also this blog is not without its roots. Much like the US was born from Britian, The Billiken's Bluff has a forefather as well. The Cardiff Giant. The name sounds gigantic, so was its intent. We posted strong through the summer months, posting regualrly from our respective cubicles. Sadly we sputtered out in September. But like Dave Chappelle so eloquently put it, "We're back BITCHES!" Couldn't have said it better myself.

Developing....
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing