<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

No Name, No Shame 

In a comment responding to Dotty's most recent post - his prediction about tonight's election results - a poster layed into Mr. Dot with a heated rebuttal to his claims. The poster, who left the name "Anonymous," pontificated thusly: "It must be nice, NDot, to ignorantly follow Bush from the comfort of your home while men and women younger than either of us are being slaughtered so that our President can prove something, something that has NOTHING to do with democracy or freedom. You make me sick."

Strong words from someone who obviously has a totally separate value system of my dear friend N-Dot. Problem is, nobody is really sure who this person is. That's because he/she didn't even have the decency to leave their name. He can take potshots at Neill all day and night and never have to stand behind his words. Whether or not one agrees with N-Dot or the anonymous poster, one must respect Dottie for standing up and voicing his beliefs whilst this person simply poked his head up to hate on the Dot without fear of a return attack. During that same comment thread, A-Wood voiced a similar disagreement with Neill, resulting in the sort of back-and-forth debate that has become a staple of the Billiken's Bluff. A-Wood and Neill stand behind their comments; the Horse with No Name does not.

This reminds me of a situation that came about just last week. Following the New York Football Jets' first loss of the season, Head Coach Herm Edwards addressed the media at a midweek press conference. Edwards became especially angry when the subject turned to an anonymous article speculating about the mood of his team after their crucial loss to division rival New England. Edwards reamed out the media and launched into a signature diatribe:



"Just put your name on it, that's all I say. Be a man or a woman, put your name on it, don't be afraid of it. Don't speak out of court and say "but I saw" - you didn't saw nothing. Whoever went in there and saw the team after I talked to them, that's the problem I got. You don't know the mood of that football team. That's the problem I got.


If you're man enough to write it or woman enough to write it, put your name on it, or come ask me.
That's the problem I got. And I've always had that problem. None of you know how those football players feel because you're not in there when I address the team. I've got a problem with that. I've got a problem with it. I've always had a problem with it. So write that. If you want to write something, write that. I said that. Next question."

(The full text of this press conference can be found at Press Point's website.)


The parallels between Herm E. and Neill G. are too numerous to detail adequately in this space. Both men are fearless individuals with an unyielding belief in themselves. Both men are tireless and relentless workers who settle for nothing but the best. Both men are leaders of men - someone I would put my faith and trust in during a time of uncertainty. And while I disagree with both men on many occasions - Dottie when he goes off about Dubya, Herm when he calls for a swing pass to the fullback on 3rd and 13 - it cannot be denied that both men are men of their words. Both men stand behind everything that they do and say, which is all that I can ask for, and something that Mr. Anonymous cannot claim.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing