<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Iraqis Vote, Liberals Implode 



Democracy doesn't happen in one day. Certainly in Iraq one can see that the development of democratic principles and institutions will remain a long and difficult process for some time. Still, the cause of human freedom in the world could do worse than to see more days like Saturday, when Iraqis lined up under the threat of death to cast the first vote they had been afforded in 50 years.

Of course I wish I could say more about it and highlight some of the moving personal stories to come out of the event that you won't find in the New York Times - but alas, I ain't got the time at the moment. But although it may still take some time to assess the overall success of the day's election, one can begin to see how well things are going there by the reaction of those on the left, which has alternately been muted whining, silence, and for some democrats even excitement.

Ah, and even - is it possible - soul searching?

Liberal columnist Mark Brown had this to say to his fellow Anti-Bushocrats:

"After watching Sunday's election in Iraq and seeing the first clear sign that freedom really may mean something to the Iraqi people, you have to be asking yourself: What if it turns out Bush was right, and we were wrong?

It's hard to swallow, isn't it?"


What the??

Then, just as John Stewart made it to the 2nd place in the NDot Top 5 People Who Need to Be Punched in the Face list, he said this on the Daily Show last night to Fareed Zakaria:

"I’ve watched this thing unfold from the start and here’s the great fear that I have: What if Bush, the president, ours, has been right about this all along? I feel like my world view will not sustain itself and I may, and again I don’t know if I can physically do this, implode."

Well holy Jeez. I'm not going to hold my breath for most Anti-Bushocrats to backtrack on their visions of doom and gloom which NDot has tried to counter. But, just as a reminder, heres a sample of what avid Anti-Bushocrat and Thuggery Correspondent A-Wood had to say about all this on the HOT when all this was discussed in detail a few months ago:

NDot, I really hope you're right about Iraq. It would be great if there was a fair, free election and some progressive-minded intelligent Iraqi citizen is elected president. If that happens, I'd glady admit that I was wrong.
But looking at Iraq from my so-called "cynical worldview," I see a civil war about to break out. I see a chaotic mess that is years away from a free democratic election.


I would like to think that Stewart's and Brown's comments reflect that the Anti-Bushocrats are having an ever-so-slight change of heart. Have they been moved enough but what they saw happen In Iraq this weekend and the reaction it is getting in the Arab world that they are willing to look past their hatred of all things Dubya - just long enough - to recognize that the removal of Saddam and the initiation of the long road to democracy in its stead ain't exactly the horrible catastrophe they've been making it out to be?

Either way, if Jon Stewart actually implodes I promise to remove him from the NDot Top 5 PWNTBPITF list - or at least drop him down a few notches.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing