<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Teddy Bruschi 

I don’t normally get all sentimental and teary-eyed here on Billiken, but Teddy Bruschi suffered a partial stroke caused by a broken blood vessel in his head and had to be hospitalized. He is reported to be in stable condition. This really speaks to me for some reason.



I’m not a Patriots fan, but I am a football fan. I’m also a fan of anyone who brings a singular presence to their profession. Watching Bruschi turn himself into a human javelin in an attempt to fly over the Eagles offensive line and reach Donovan McNabb in the Super Bowl was something to behold. Watching Bruschi screaming at sideline reporter Sal Paolantonio in the snow after the Pats blitzkrieged the Colts… I didn’t feel like I was watching a middle linebacker after football victory, I felt as if I was watching Mel Gibson fighting for his people’s freedom in Braveheart (only Bruschi wasn’t acting). Yea, and I know it’s only sports, and maybe Bruschi shouldn’t be lauded for taking a football game so seriously, but then again why shouldn’t he? It’s his job and he is passionate about it.

And it comes as no surprise to me that Bruschi did some serious damage to his body. This injury seems somehow symbolic. It’s not like Bruschi twisted his ankle, or broke his arm in a collision. The blood vessel seems as if it broke after an accumulation of hard hits. It’s almost the logical conclusion to the way he played the game. He’s been a huge reason why the Pats have won three championships in the past four years, but he probably shouldn’t play another game.

As they say, Teddy Bruschi left it all on the field.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing