<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Enough Dollars Don't Make Sense 

Recovery/rebuilding costs for the Gulf Coast are expected to exceed $200 billion dollars. That number sees awfully high, and round, and unnecessary. If there are 200 million adult tax payers in this country (which is probably a high-end estimate), that works out to $1,000 per adult.

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have $1,000 to rebuild anything.

I know Bush has pledged not to raise taxes because of this. Instead he will run the deficit much much higher.

But someone has to pay eventually. The money comes from somewhere, someone will foot this bill in some form. I don't know a lot about global economics but somehow Beijing will end up benefiting from this deficit spending.

$200 billion seems completely wrong. This can be done cheaper. The government is completely inefficient. Run the rebuilding effort more like a business and less like a bureaucracy.

***UPDATE***

Speaking of fiscal irresponsibility and questionable expenditures...

Kellogg, Brown & Root Services Inc. a subsidiary of the infamous Haliburton, has been awarded $500 million to repair naval bases damaged by Katrina. Back in 2003 Haliburton was at the center of a scandal for allegedly overcharging the US Government for the delivery of fuel and supplies to troops following the 'end' of the Iraqi conflict.

Vice President Dick Cheney headed Haliburton from 1995-2000.

I'm not saying that the naval bases should not be rebuilt. I am suggesting that it can be done for less than $500 million. I'm also suggesting KBR should not be awarded any government contracts after already overcharging the US Government for their services. Remember the wisdom of Bush Jr.:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twic... You’ll never fool me again.

I would really like to see what constitutes winning a competitive bid contract. Something tells me the bidding process wasn't all that competitive. Without doing any research at all I can say with near certainty that someone can rebuild these naval bases for much less than $500 million.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing