<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

How about some ironic distance 

Last night I saw a commercial for Touchtone Picture's Annapolis, starring James Franco and Tyrese.



"Why do you want to be an officer?"

"To serve my country, sir."

"You ain't good enough."

"I ain't quitting."

The place where legends are born and heros are made.


Franco is a troubled youth. Tyrese is a seasoned officer. Tyrese tells Franco he'll never make it. Franco is determined. Tyrese finds that he sees some of himself in Franco. Franco is going to make it after all!!! The whole story seems to take place in Annapolis, during training. It looks like the standard military coming of age story.

But it also looks a little suspicious. I can't quite figure out what the angle is. Why are they telling this story?

I just watched the trailer for this movie, or should I say recruiting video. I've seen US Military TV ads that feel less like government propaganda. Who makes this shit? Does Touchtone think people will go to see this? If people were asking for this type of movie then the military wouldn't be desperately short on new recruits. I honestly think the US Military must have had something to do with producing this movie. There is no other explanation.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing