<$BlogRSDURL$>

Fasten, fit closely, bind together.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The darkest evening of the year. 

At the Prague Writers' Festival in 2003, Irvine Welsch said The Sex Pistols were his favorite band because they didn't give a fuck, but they cared.

I know they did heroin and were a punk band and Sid Vicious was accused of killing his wife and killed himself. I don't know much about their music, but I liked Welsch's description. I respected the band based on the strength of his endorsement alone.



I also know that some fans out there, maybe Irvine Welsch, must have cringed when they heard Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols' doing radio advertisements for Virgin Atlantic Airways.

At what point do you have to be at in your career to do this? People grow up, agreed, but Sid Viscous stabbed his wife while high on heroin. Ergo, Steve Jones should not do ads for an airline, ever.

My balls and my word is alls i have,
What you gonna do to me?
Nigga, scars will scab




But I'm not interested in debating who sold out and who didn't and what that even means. What I do want to know is how depressed, how broke, how teetering on the verge of oblivion must a man be to sign off on this?





Description from Photo - Bill Buckner & Mooke Wilson, perhaps the most famous error in the history of baseball. Amazingly it's signed by Mookie as well as Buckner! This comes with a certificate of authenticity from Cardboard Memories which has a picture of them signing the photo.

Not amazingly, not one of kind at all. The internet is abound with this dually-penned photo.

I felt bad for Buckner. A career defined by a single play. I assumed he disappeared into seclusion.



Somewhere in the Pacific northwest. Far away from Boston. Maybe in a log cabin.



I did not expect to find him flooding the market with autographed reminders.



But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


View or Post to our Message Board!
Free Web Counter
Oshkosh Clothing